During this most wonderful time of the year, you can expect Christmas carols and rowdy parties. The best way to enjoy such celebrations is to see and listen attentively to the sights and sounds of the season.
However, what if you have hearing issues? How then will you be able to take full advantage of your hearing aid capabilities and enjoy the festivities?
In this article, we have prepared practical tips for you on how to use your hearing aid this holiday. Keep on reading to find out more.
Having a hearing aid checkup before festivities
As a hearing aid user, it’s best to schedule a checkup with your hearing healthcare professional. The goal is to ensure that your hearing devices are in proper working condition. During the appointment, make sure to ask the following:
- Hearing aid features: Pursuing and joining in conversations during the holidays can be a challenge if you have hearing problems. Because of this, you won’t want to miss out on the holiday music, the burst of laughter, and clatter of dishes. It’s best to be able to take advantage of all hearing aid features fully.
- Proper accessories: Having all the needed accessories for your hearing is imperative. Apart from the hearing aid itself, you may want to consider other accessories, such as Bluetooth streaming devices and assistive listening devices. That way, you can maximize your hearing aid’s benefits.
- Hearing attitude: You will need to train your brain to see the need to wear your hearing aids. That said, make sure to wear your hearing aids around the house every day. The more you wear them, the more practice your brain has in translating the signals. Soon, you’ll consider it as part of your life.
Practical tips to get ready for the holiday
Now that we’ve discussed the importance of a regular checkup, let’s get into the practical tips in getting ready for the holiday. Below are some valuable tips for your guide and reference.
- Stock up on batteries: Never miss out on stocking up on batteries if your hearing aids use disposable batteries.
- Child-proof and pet-proof your home: Make sure to store your hearing aids and their accessories in safe places, if you have kids or pets.
- Be wary during holiday parties: You have to be prepared when you attend the office party or a friend’s holiday party. It’s all the more critical if your hearing loss prevents you from hearing well when you’re in a noisy situation.
- Control your environment: For instance, let your hostess know that you have hearing loss and ask to be seated the furthest away from the television or kitchen. That way, you can minimize background noise.
At this point, you now have an idea of how you can better prepare yourself for the holidays. From the valuable tips mentioned above, remember to have a hearing checkup prior to the festivity and prepare for the actual events. Even if you have difficulties in hearing, you don’t have to let that stop you from having a good time with your family and friends while using hearing aids.
If you are looking to get hearing aids over the holidays, Fraser Valley Beltone in Abbotsford, BC is your best option. Get in touch with us today to see how we can help.